A new firmware release, version 2.1.22, is now available for the Iridium GO!®. This release includes an update to fix an incorrect time/date issue for both the Iridium GO! device and the app. This issue causes in an incorrect time/date on the device and app and does not affect the functionality of the device/app in any manner. Calls, Data, SMS, SOS and tracking still operate normally. Only instances where a message (quick gps, tracking, SOS) payload contains a date/time, will have an incorrect time/date. Ordering of messages in the Iridium GO! app may be out of order, as well as missed voice calls. Upgrading the device to the new firmware version 2.1.22 will resolve this issue. It is recommended that all users affected by this issue upgrade to this new firmware version as soon as possible to resolve the issue on the Iridium GO! device and its corresponding Iridium GO! app. Certain users who have left their Iridium GO! device on, charging and have not power cycled their device might not experience a time/date discrepancy immediately. However once the device is power cycled they will run into the issue where the device displays the wrong time/date. It is therefore recommended that all users, whether currently experiencing the issue now or yet to face it upgrade their devices as soon as possible.
This issue started as early as 29th August 2021 . This issue is traced back to a network time change (re-epoch) that was planned for 2014 near the Iridium GO! product launch and was temporarily rolled back and as a result a time offset was deleted from the firmware and proceeded to operate on the original counter without the originally planned offset to correct the time in the future. Unfortunately this caused a deficiency with the current network time setting as it did not offset correctly beginning 29th August 2021 once the counter rolled over and therefore needs to be updated in the device firmware. This issue does not impact other products that were not impacted by this issue as it was internal to the Iridium GO! firmware timer settings.
Firmware Update Instructions
- While this firmware release is not mandatory, it is recommended that the upgrade be performed as soon as possible to ensure the best end user experience.
- For information and resources including Release Notes, Firmware Upgrade Instructions and Firmware v2.1.22, please visit https://www.iridium.com/idr-file/347619/.
App Update Instructions
- A new updated Iridium GO! app iOS version 1.6.33 and Iridium GO! app Android version 1.6.20 is also available on their respective app stores. This app also contains the time/date fix in addition to the firmware update i.e. the SMS messages in the inbox, the timestamp on recent calls screen. In the event the user upgrades to the new app and not the new firmware, the app will:
- Fix the timestamp issue in the app such that any instances that show the wrong timestamp will now be updated to reflect the correct time and date
- Identify the firmware on the GO! device when the app is logged in, and notify the user to update to the latest firmware via a pop-up notification stating “In order to display correct time and date for the Iridium GO!® device screen, messages, tracking, and SOS alerts, please visit < iridiumgoapp.com/fw> for important firmware update instructions”
- Please note, just updating the app and not the firmware will not resolve the timestamps on the outgoing messages such as tracking, quick GPS message and the SOS message.
- While this app update release is not mandatory, it is recommended that the upgrade be performed as soon as possible to ensure the best end user experience.
Firmware and App Update Completion
It is recommended that the Iridium GO! firmware is updated as it will correct timestamps for both SENT and RECEIVED messages. An app update will correct timestamps only for RECEIVED messages. Updating both the Firmware and App will correct both SENT and RECEIVED timestamps so therefore has the same benefit as updating the firmware.
Dated: October 04, 2021 (Alert 21-067)