NAL Research - SHOUT ts
The SHOUT ts is a handheld, global, two-way satellite messaging and personal tracking device. It utilizes Iridium’s short burst data (SBD) service to provide location information determined by a GPS receiver, two-way inbound and outbound status, text messaging, and emergency/alert notifications. The SHOUT ts measures 4.1” x 2.3” x 0.9” and weighs ~7.2 ounces.
The SHOUT ts is designed with ultra-low power consumption electronics drawing less than 35µA during sleep. With an internal 1.95 A-Hr rechargeable Li-Ion battery, it can send a position report every hour for up to two months (about 1,600 reports). The SHOUT ts is equipped with a resistive high resolution color touchscreen supporting transmission of free-text, canned messages and a combination of free-text and canned messages. Similar to a “smart” phone, the menu options are displayed as icons for quick access. The device can periodically wake up from sleep to send its position report to a command center. A 911 button is used for immediate emergency/alert notifications. Data is packaged in either standard or 256-bit AES encrypted format. Data can also be sent in encrypted PECOS formats to include Brevity codes.
The SHOUT ts offers a variety of services including:
- Normal Tracking — programmed to automatically wake up and send a position report at a set interval ranging from once a minute to once a day.
- Emergency Alert — sends alerts to a designated monitoring center using a 911 button. The monitoring center and the user can then communicate to define further specifics of the emergency.
- Free-Text Messaging — sends free-text via four different sets of on-screen keyboards.
- Canned Text Messaging — sends canned messages in short codes to save bandwidth instead of the entire message body.
- Waypoint Tracking — sends and/or saves waypoints for later retrieval.
- Check-In — allows a quick check-in message to be sent using a single soft key.
- Low-cost, body-worn tracker and messaging device
- Programmed for either DoD or Commercial Iridium Gateway
- Ultra-low power consumption
- Automatic location reports (>1500 reports)
- Guarded 911 alert switch
- High resolution touchscreen
- Free-text, canned messages, or combined free-text and canned messages
- Data logging (waypoints and tracking reports)
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Real-time, pole-to-pole coverage
- Weighs ~7.2 ounces
- Volume of 4.1” x 2.3” x 0.9”
- USB interface
- Internal rechargeable battery using AC adapter, USB port, or solar charger
- Integrated motion sensor
- 50-channel GPS receiver with -160 dBm sensitivity
- Compatible Airtime Service(s): SBD
- Dimensions: 4.1” L x 2.3” W x 0.9” D (104 mm x 58 mm x 23 mm)
- Weight: ~7.2 ounces (204 grams)
- I/O Interface: Micro USB
- Cooling: Convection
- Enclosure: Hard-Anodized Aluminum (EMI shielded)
- Input Voltage Range: 2.7VDC to 5.5VDC
- Battery: 1.95 A-Hr rechargeable Lithium-Ion
- Sleep Mode: < 35µA between reports
- Transmission Mode: 1.12mA-Hr per report
Iridium RF Board
- Operating Frequency: 1616 to 1626.5 MHz
- Link Margin Downlink: 13 dB average
- Link Margin Uplink: 7 dB average
- Average Power Transmission: 1.0 W
- Receiver Type: 1575.42 MHz (L1), 50-channel, C/A code
- Accuracy: 2.5 m CEP
- Update Rate: 4 Hz
- Start-upTimes: < 1 sec hot start, 29 sec warm start, and 29 sec cold start
- Sensitivity: -160 dBm
- Operating Temperature: -4°F to +140°F (-20°C to +60°C)
- Operating Humidity: < 75% RH
- MIL-STD: MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-461G, Rapid Decompression and Explosive Atmosphere